Sunday, August 3, 2008

Character Designing

I've been trying to get the hang of drawing more interesting characters lately. I sometimes feel like a lot of my drawings sit on an uncomfortable middle-ground between realism and stylization, not really fitting into either category. So for the past little while, I've been working on pushing the stylization, exaggerating shapes more, and generally just making more appealing characters. Please give me some feedback, since I'm not really sure yet how this whole character-design thing is supposed to work. At least let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

So first off is an extra-beefy lion I drew a few days ago and decided to color tonight. I'm actually really pleased with this one.

I drew this raptor when I went to work with my dad this last week, using a statue of a roadrunner in the same pose as reference. My dad had been given the statue by some university clients of a school whose mascot was the roadrunner, and I thought it looked rather dinosaur...ish.
And this has nothing to do with character design, but is just so everyone will know that I have the coolest Iron Man action figure ever.
You know you're jealous.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I totally AM jealous! These look great, Chelsea!
You got game.
And by that I mean fantasmic drawring skillz.
And by that I mean...aw, never mind. You're talented. The end.

Claire Gordon said...

Hey Chelsea!
I'm loving the lion, very beefy and fun!
And I am jealous of your ironman action figure

Rachel B said...

Oh, Ironman...I want one of those!!!

Kricket's Korner said...

Love the raptor! Can't say much about Iron Man though, I haven't seen the movie.
And I think you've got a defianet style going on with your characters. But mind you, this is comeing from someone that knows next to nothing about visual arts. ;p

Kory Lynn Hubbell said...

That lion rocks it. Great stylization. The raptor reminds me of a cat, what with it's tail in the air. Great stuff!

Kricketman said...

I am jealous.

M.R. Weaver said...

I love that lion. He is one sexy cat.
:3