Monday, July 14, 2008

Exile

As it says on my DeviantART, "I originally started sketching this picture this morning with the intent of experimenting a bit in Flash, and it was turning out really well, but after about an hour, my computer froze up without letting me save. And my lovely work vanished. I was most displeased. But after a prolonged period of angry brooding in which I browsed through custom content for the Sims 2, I decided I'd try again. And though the original magic of my first sketch is now lost to the carnivorous appetite of my laptop and its perpetual hibernation habits, I am decently satisfied with the final product of my experimentation."

Hooray. I also realized that this is my first serious lion picture of 2008. I mean, I sketch them all the time and draw silly cartoons of my fursona, Moth, but this is the first time this year I've done an all-out, shaded, realistic study of my most favorite feline. And as usual, no reference was used. I've drawn lions enough times that I just do it from memory nowadays.

5 comments:

Rachel B said...

I still can't believe you are able to draw something like that using a computer!

Brandon Pedersen said...

How exactly do you sketch in Flash? This looks tremendous.

Chelsea Stebar said...

I just put the brush on pressure sensitivity, and drew on one frame of one layer, switching between a black brush and a white brush. Then I just exported it at a higher resolution to make the whole image bigger.

Brandon Pedersen said...

Do you use a wacom tablet and stylus or just the mouse?

Chelsea Stebar said...

Definitely tablet. I have a tablet PC, so I just draw on the screen.